Self-care: Tips and ideas
18 December 2020
Taking time to look after yourself can make a big difference in your current mood, thoughts, and outlook on life.
While self-care activities are not a replacement for professional help when needed, they are certainly a valuable part of your mental wellbeing.
Here are some options for self-care that you might find helpful:
- Take time to do things you enjoy – this could be things like going for a walk, reading a book, watching a movie, listening to music, gardening, or cooking
- Take care of yourself – eat healthy meals, make healthy lifestyle choices, get enough sleep
- Prioritise self-care – you need to specifically set aside time if you want to prioritise looking after yourself. If you don’t, you’ll often find that this will be the last thing you try to and then you may be too tired, it may be too late, or you may not have what you need.
- Set boundaries – sometimes self-care is saying “no” to things that do not help your mental wellbeing
Some extra tips for self-care
- A few minutes is better than nothing – don’t fall into the trap of thinking you need hours or a day to look after yourself!
- Unhealthy habits do not equal self-care
- Keep up your self-care habits when things are going well as well; you don’t only need to do it when things feel overwhelming