Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
What is Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)?
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that manifests following exposure to some traumatic experience. The trauma may have been a once-off incident such as a hijacking or repeated incidents over time like sexual abuse.
What are the signs and symptoms of PTSD?
Symptoms of stress are a normal reaction, however, when these symptoms persist over time, feel unmanageable, and significantly affect normal functioning such as day-to-day ability to spend time with family or grocery shopping, then seeking professional help is necessary.
Symptoms of PTSD include:
- Being easily startled
- Feeling ‘jumpy’ or on edge
- Experiencing flashbacks of the traumatic experience
- Nightmares about the traumatic experience
- Trouble falling asleep or staying asleep
- Feeling detached from others
- Feeling extremely irritable
- Panic attacks